Wednesday, July 29, 2020

VA Disability Questions

What percentage does a veteran get for PTSD?
The percentage is different for each veteran. The veteran has to be evaluated by a VA psychologist. After evaluation then the doctor’s notes of your evaluation goes to a rating and evaluation person at Compensation and Pension (C&P) office. They then give a determination on the percentage and send you written notification via mail. If you are not happy with the percentage then you can appeal.

I am not sure of the time line on any of this now. When I first submitted a claim in 2004 it took about three months and all my injuries came back as 0% but all service connected. So I had to submit an appeal and it took almost two years for them to finally give me more than 0% on any of my claims. They all totaled up to 60% for about 15 different injuries. In 2015 at the insistence of my VA Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) doctors I resubmitted for another appeal based on their new notes and it finally went to 100%. The percentage scheme/formula that VA uses is very complicated and using their formula 10%+10% does not equal 20%. Before I put in for another evaluation in 2015 all my disabilities added up to over 220% but with their formula it was only 60%. The new notes from the TBI doctors gave it justification for 100%.

I recommend using one of the Veteran’s Service Organizations like DAV, VFW, American Legion or the Military Order of the Purple Heart. I used DAV the first time that gave me the 0% rating in 2004. I did my own appeal in 2004 and that took the two years. In 2015 I used the American Legion and it took two months. So for me the American Legion worked the best but the choice is yours. As I said I am not sure of the time line now but I heard it has improved. Good luck!

Originally Posted At Quora
https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-does-a-veteran-get-for-PTSD/answer/Barry-Exum?ch=10&share=ad636053&srid=u78wt8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts With Me